Anger Is a Choice



Picture Source

When we have the power to differentiate our feelings from our actions we can change our reactions. While we strive to remain proactive and control our own lives, the influence of others is inevitable and reacting to them are too. How we feel about other people’s feelings and actions are different than what we do about them. I can feel greatly upset and sad that my daughter chose to hit me. I may act in equal violence because of this situation, or I can express to her about my feelings and show her kindness in my actions. As I do this, I am portraying the example I want her to emulate in her own reactions. 

The prophets in this activity had a few themes. People do not like to be forced! Joseph Smith said, “Men do not like to be driven.” Imagine a cattle and someone prodding it along. I’ve been there with my kids and it isn’t a pretty sight. Move more slowly or make it a fun game to move quickly. Another point I saw a lot was showing compassion for people who are having a hard time. Kids cannot control their emotions or express themselves very well. It is a frustrating cycle to get upset, not communicate it well, get punished for that, and get more upset as a result. Again, Joseph Smith encourages, “Look with compassion on perishing souls.” Lastly, try your hardest to look for the good. Joseph Smith states to drop the faults “… bury them and speak only of the good you know and feel.” One of my favorite words of advice is water the flowers, not the weeds. (Ralphie @simplyonpurpose). We must let our children blossom and open up their petals in the light of day. Overrunning their world with weeds and negativity will mar their childhood, spoil our relationship, and surely lead to dreadfully terrible fights.

I have a strong testimony that these prophets were inspired by God. This reading assignment helped me see that they teach the principles of love, long suffering, and peace that Jesus Christ preached. I hope to emulate these in my life so my kids may also find the same love, long suffering, and peace that I feel. Obviously it is hard and I am not perfect, but that is what makes this effort so meaningful. Intentionally following the prophet really helps me be a better parent.



Greatness of Joseph Smith”—in “The Martyrdom,” Church History in the Fulness of Times Student Manual (Church Educational System manual, 2003), 284

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Types of Parenting Styles

Family Councils